THE TIME HAS COME FOR THE CITY TO UTILIZE FULLY AUTOMATED GARBAGE COLLECTING
• Beginning Monday, February 28, 2022, the city will only pick up the blue West Memphis cart that was issued and assigned to your property.
• For residents who would like to purchase a second garbage cart, each household may purchase one additional cart through the City Clerk’s office at City Hall or by calling 870-732-7510. The cost for the additional cart is $75.
• Make sure there is nothing in front of the cart. There MUST be 5 FEET of space on all sides of the cart(s). Do NOT place any trash on the lid or beside the cart. All garbage must be inside the cart with the lid completely closed.
• Please make sure your cart is placed on your regular scheduled time and day as before to allow the automated truck to pick up and dump your cart.
• Place the cart(s) at the edge of the curb with the wheels and handle facing your house and the lid opening facing the street. • If citizens need assistance to know where and how to place their garbage cart, please call 870-732-7580. We will be happy to assist you.
• Handicap services will not change. Residents with disabilities and or cannot move their cart to the curb, must provide the city with evidence of your disability, in order to receive a special service tag in order for your cart to be picked up from your property at no additional cost. CLICK HERE TO APPLY: https://www.westmemphisar.gov/.../Handicap--Application...
• If residents are using the old green cart issued by the city, please leave your empty cart outside at the curb and a team will come by to collect it within the next few days. If your old cart has not yet been picked up please call 870-732-7580.
We appreciate everyone's help, this move will help improve our sanitation service overall while providing a cleaner and safer community. If you have any questions or concerns, please give us a call 870-732-7580.
City garbage carts
The City of West Memphis now provides curbside garbage collection, this collection method requires that residents place their city issued garbage carts a specific way.
The carts are blue and have the City of West Memphis seal impressed on the sides in white. The carts come with a microchip inside so staff will be able to identify which carts belong to which residences.
Residents should roll their new carts to their homes within 24 hours after being delivered.
This will help improve our sanitation service overall while providing a cleaner and safer community.
*Residents with disabilities and or cannot move their cart to the curb, must provide the city with evidence of your disability, in order to receive a special service tag in order for your cart to be picked up from your property at no additional cost. CLICK HERE TO APPLY
**For residents who would like to purchase a second garbage cart, each household may purchase one additonal cart for $75.
For more information contact our Public Works Division at 870-732-7671 and follow us on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter for our #trashtalktuesday posts every week.
How to Properly Place Carts on Collection Day
STEP #1: CLOSE THE LID & ROLL TO CURBSIDE
Place all items in trash bags in the cart(s) and make sure the lid is completely closed. ROLL the cart to the edge of the curb.
STEP #2: MAKE SURE THE CART HANDLE IS FACING YOUR HOME.
PLACE the cart(s) at the edge of the curb with the wheels and handle facing your house and the lid opening facing the street.
STEP #3: CARTS MUST HAVE 5 FEET OF SPACE.
Make sure there is nothing in front of the cart. There MUST be 5 FEET of space on all sides of the cart(s). Do NOT place any trash on the lid or beside the cart. All garbage must be inside the cart with the lid completely closed.
The Sanitation Department, having 32 employees, offers both residential and commercial service to the city of West Memphis. The Sanitation Department has:
- 2 front end loaders
- 4 trash trucks
- 7 rear end loaders
Residential & Commercial Service
Residential trash service will now be Monday through Friday with one pick-up per week. (See map below). Commercial service is on a prearranged schedule to meet individual service needs.
New Curbside Trash Route Map
- Ward 1 - Monday
- Ward 2 - Tuesday
- Ward 3 - Wednesday
- Ward 4 - Thursday
- Ward 5 - Friday
The City will not pick up truckloads of tree trunks or branches over 10 inches in diameter and no more than 6 feet in length. If you have a tree cut down or tree trimming done, you may need to make arrangements to have the material hauled off.
In order to cover the entire City each week based your scheduled pick up day, we are unable to haul off yard debris that exceeds the maximum collection size (approx. 6’ long x 4’ wide x 4’ tall) This cannot be done if trash trucks are tied up for hours hauling tree debris from one location. Plus, our equipment was not made to operate as logging trucks.
Your monthly sanitation fee covers weekly residential trash pickup. The removal of large piles of tree branches is not a part of the residential trash pickup. For this reason, we do not pick up roofing shingles, demolition/remodeling material or masonry/concrete items either.
What is the difference between garbage and trash?
• Garbage is defined food, food containers, organic waste, clothing, etc…
• Trash is defined as yard waste, such as grass clippings, weeds, twigs leaves, etc…
If you have questions about what we pick up, please call the Sanitation Department at 870-732-7580.